Hello! Today I will be preparing dinner for 2 pax with a budget of $10.
I will be cooking Roast Chicken and vegetables for Narelle, my elder sister, and I.
My elder sister modified the ingredients as she cooks this often. Therefore,I did not follow the ingredients in the recipe.
This is the edited recipe:
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 green bell peppers, wedges
- 1/2 Broccoli
- 1 Japanese sweet potato
- Adjust the oven rack to the top position and preheat to 450 degrees F ( 230 degrees C) . Toss together the carrots, broccoli, onions, green bell peppers, 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper on a rimmed baking sheet and arrange in a single layer. Roast until the vegetables slightly brown, about 20 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Meanwhile, rub the chicken breast skin with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with the paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Once the vegetables begin to soften, put the chicken breasts on top and roast the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, 20 to 25 minutes. Wrap the Japanese sweet potatoes in aluminium foil and bake it for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken breasts and let them rest for a few minutes. Divide the chicken and roasted vegetables among 2 plates.
|Japanese Sweet potatoes||750g – $2.50||500g – $1.80||1200g – $3|
|Green bell pepper||300g – $1.65||200g – $1.10||600g – $2.34|
|Red onion||700g – $1.35||1kg – $1.90||700g – $1.45|
|Chicken breast||300g – $3.25||200g – $2.50||100g – $1.07|
|broccoli||280g – $2.90||250g – $1.45||750g – $3.68|
|parsley||1 pack -$1.90||1 pack – $2.65||1 pack – $1.75|
|Carrot||500g – $0.90||700g – $1.70||1000g – $1.90|
|lemon||500g – $4.00||1 – $0.75||1 – $0.75|
Shop online at
Sheng Siong: https://allforyou.sg/
Red onion, Chicken Breast, Green/red/yellow bell pepper and Japanese sweet potato is a must to get.
I had carrot, broccoli and paprika at home so I do not need to get it.
Parsley is optional and I didn’t need lemon as I have paprika for my chicken seasoning.
Broccoli cost about $1.45 at Sheng Siong and carrot cost $0.90 at NTUC.
Red Onion: $1.35
Yellow peppers: $0.85
Chicken breast: $2.75
Japanese sweet potato: $2.70
Cost for dinner for 2 pax :$7.55 + $1.45 + $0.90 = $9.90
My elder sister, Narelle, gave me a feedback that the chicken should be marinated longer so that there will be more flavour in the chicken. If sweet potato is used, steaming it will taste better and softer compared to baking it. Overall the roast chicken with vegetables has a rating of 7.5/10, which is pretty good to me as I don’t usually cook.
Don’t forget to put your recycle bags in your bag when going grocery shopping this help save the Earth.
There is also a Bring Your Own (BYO) Campaign. This campaign allows you to bring your reusable container, bag and cup to participating retail outlets, for example, 10 cents off at NTUC FairPrice if they spend more than $10 or more or 10% off bread items if you use their PAUL reusable bread bag. Check out http://www.byosingapore.com/ for more information.
What have I learn
I have learnt that to get the cheapest price ingredients, you don’t need to travel down to Giant, Sheng Siong and NTUC to check the price. You can just search their price through their online store and you can even head down to the wet markets to get much cheaper ingredients. When you have a budget, you will realize that every cent counts.
Don’t be lazy and buy non precut food as precut food are more expensive.
Prepare a shopping list so that you wouldn’t be tempted to buy unnecessary stuff such as unhealthy snacks and convenience food.
I have also learnt that there are many possible healthy and cheap dishes I could cook with a budget of $10 dollars, whereas instead of only cooking unhealthy food such as instant noodles. If I were to continue eating unhealthy food every day just because I am lazy, it will affect my health in a long run. It is better to get out of my lazy state and at least have a meal plan for the week so that it would be easier to get the ingredients. At the same time, I can learn how to cook much more meals and improve my culinary skills.
Downs, S., Moreno, S., Tennyson, P., Duran, L., Quintero, R., Anderson, T., … Magnolia Blossom. (2015, June 25). Baked Chicken Breasts and Vegetables Recipe. [Online]. Available from https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/236110/baked-chicken-breasts-and-vegetables/ [Accessed July 13, 2018].